Australian Drug Safe Compliance with Australian Health and Pharmaceutical Requirements
All drug safes used for the storage of dangerous & addictive drugs such as scheduled S8 medication must be compliant with the Australian Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulations Act -2008.
The Australian drug safe specifications outlined below will give compliance to the product in accordance with the Australian Poisons and Controlled Substances Regulations Act -2008. It is to be read in conjunction with the installation requirements for certification, as this forms part of the Drug Compliant Regulations.
- All the construction and materials incorporated in a drug safe that will be used for the storage of controlled drugs must comply with your relevant State or Territories Regulations. (Drugs & Poisons Act)
- Drug safes should be supplied with adjustable & removable interior shelves.
- Drug safe bodies must be constructed of a single layer of mild steel and be no less than 10 mm in thickness with continuous welding of all joints.
- The drug safe body must incorporate a full length lock keeper bar welded to the inside of the drug safe on the lock side and also a full length steel bar welded to the inside of the drug safe on the hinge side that will act as a tamper proof recess for a dog bar.
- The drug safe must have 4 suitable sized mounting holes in the back or alternatively 2 suitable sized mounting holes in the back plate and 2 suitable sized fixing holes in the base.
- The drug safe door must be constructed of mild steel plate and be no less than 10 mm in thickness and when the door is closed it must fit flush with the safes body and have a clearance around the door of no more than 1.5 mm.
- The drug safe door must incorporate a hardened steel plate at the site of attachment of the lock in the area that protects all parts of the lock from drilling.
- A solid full length dog bar must be down the inside of the door on the hinge side that recesses by the bar.
- The drug safe lock requirements must be a six -lever pick proof or a lock mechanism of a level of equal security to that of a 6 lever -pick proof lock.
- Drug safe must have continuous welds to the inside face of the door and incorporate a steel saddle around the lock welded to the inside face of the door along with a steel guard around the bolt of the lock welded to the face of the door.
- The drug safe hinges on the door must be constructed of heavy duty steel with continuous welds to the door and the body.
For any further clarification on the type of drug safe requirements you may need for the storage of dangerous & addictive drugs please refer to the code of practice for the storage and transport of drugs of dependence in your State or Territory.